China’s Tencent Holdings Profit Surges 89 Percent After Honour of Kings Launch

first_img“The year-on-year revenue growth rate was therefore lower than previous quarters, which we expect to be temporary in nature,” Tencent said.© Thomson Reuters 2020Which is the best TV under Rs. 25,000? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below. Tencent made CNY 38.5 billion (roughly Rs. 43,400 crores) profit for the three months through September. That was ahead of an analyst average estimate of CNY 30.81 billion (roughly Rs. 34,700 crores), according to data from Refinitiv. Revenue rose 29 percent to CNY 125.4 billion (roughly Rs. 1,41,300 crores).The Chinese group has a solid pipeline of new games waiting to be released, including a recent testing launch of a mobile version of League of Legends in Asia.The company also saw a return to normalcy in advertising activity following the COVID-19 outbreak, with rapid growth in sectors such as education, internet services and e-commerce platforms.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – Chinese gaming and social media giant Tencent reported an 89 percent rise in quarterly profit on Thursday, with its blockbuster game Honour of Kings and solid advertising businesses helping it to beat forecasts and lifting its shares. The world’s largest gaming firm by revenue has benefited from healthy growth of paying users for video games in China and international markets.Its flagship game Honor of Kings reported a record 100 million daily active users in the first 10 months of 2020.- Advertisement – Its shares closed 4.72 percent up, against a 0.22 percent decline in the Hang Seng index.They rebounded from a 7 percent plunge on Wednesday, when Tencent celebrated its 22nd birthday, as investors dumped shares in Chinese tech companies following publication of draft anti-monopoly rules that also wiped out hundreds of billions of dollars off some tech giants including Alibaba.Tencent said revenue from its cloud and other business services, a potential future growth engine, were affected by the lingering impact of the pandemic, such as delays in project deployment and new contract sign-ups.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Goodnight Mayfair

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Barcelona confirm transfer interest in Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

first_imgPierre-Emerick Aubameyang is wanted by Barcelona (Picture: Getty)Barcelona have confirmed they remain interested in signing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang after failing to prise the Arsenal captain away from the north London club in January.The Gabon international has enjoyed another prolific season with the Gunners, despite the club’s ongoing struggles in the Premier League.Aubameyang turns 31 in the summer and is desperate to play Champions League football again, a prospect that already looks remote for Mikel Arteta’s side who are languishing in mid-table obscurity.Barcelona, who will be without Luis Suarez for the remainder of the current campaign, reportedly made a move for Aubameyang last month but were firmly rebuffed.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTPublicly, Aubameyang has maintained he is content with life at Arsenal but with talks over a contract extension having stalled Barcelona are likely to test the waters again come the summer, according to the club’s sporting director Eric Abidal. Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 5 Feb 2020 11:17 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.7kShares Barcelona will be without Luis Suarez for the rest of the season (Picture: Getty)‘It is logical that in summer a ‘9’ will come. It is a necessity. We know that [Luis] Suarez will come back strong, but you have to bring a top player in the summer,’ Abidal told Sport.‘We do not know if it will be young or experienced. We only look at the talent and adaptation they may have. We must think that some top players have come and have not adapted well.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal‘I know him (Aubameyang). He has a profile that has depth. He is important, and in his team he is decisive.‘It is good to bring this profile of player who can be in the market and can help you. We’ll see what will happen.’MORE: Arsenal plot early transfer move for Feyenoord star Orkun KokcuMORE: Gabriel Martinelli disappointed Arsenal blocked Brazil call-up Advertisement Barcelona confirm transfer interest in Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Advertisement View 4 commentslast_img read more

Serene family home perfect escape for city workers

first_imgThe bedrooms have treetop views.Mr Halhead said the property would suit a young family or young professionals looking for an escape from the CBD. “It offers a quiet separation from the city but still only a 15-minute drive from the city,” he said. “It’s also in a great family-friendly neighbourhood.” The home is being marketed by Anna Samios from Nobel Realtors for $629,000.“This luxurious family home has extra spacious living as well as spectacular views and cool breezes that lend to serene living,” she said. The bright and spacious open plan living area.The five-bedroom home sits on an 1106sq m lot. The master bedroom has a walk-through robe and an ensuite while the other bedrooms have built-in wardrobes. The main bathroom has a bathtub and there is a second toilet downstairs. The home has four living areas including a rumpus room with a separate entry, which could be used as a home office.The kitchen has stone benchtops, gas cooktop, electric oven, a dishwasher and soft close cabinetry with gloss finish. More from newsDigital inspection tool proves a property boon for REA website3 Apr 2020The Camira homestead where kids roamed free28 May 2019The kitchen has a striking red splashback.Outside there is a patio area with room for the barbecue and outdoor setting. “The entertaining area is really quiet and peaceful and looks out over the bushland at the back of the block,” Mr Halhead said. “It is really quite nice sitting out there at the back of the home.” A DOUBLE-storey home in a quiet neighbourhood is on the market in Anstead. Paul Halhead and Jessica Hodkinson bought 63 Corymbia Cres in 2015 for its modern layout and elevated position. “We liked how green and family-orientated the area was,” Mr Halhead said. “We also liked the size of the block and how high the home sat on the block, which meant we got lovely breezes and mountain views.“The home was also architecturally designed and had modern appointments and technology throughout.”last_img read more

Wednesday people roundup

first_imgPGGM, Hogan Lovells, Nikko Asset Management, Pictet Asset Management, BMO Global Asset Management, CBRE Global Investors, Morgan Stanley, Hermes Investment Management, Mercer, Cartwrights, Santander Asset Management, Aon Hewitt, Candriam Investors Group, Fidelity, Natixis Asset Management, City Noble, MEAG, Inalytics, Goldman Sachs Asset Management, Axioma, Standard & Poor’s, Neuberger Berman, PIMCOHogan Lovells – Maarten Schellingerhout has been appointed as counsel at the global investment funds practice of law firm Hogan Lovells International in Amsterdam. Schellingerhout, a UK and Dutch law qualified funds lawyer, will advise institutional investors and managers on fund construction, primary and secondary fund investment, co-investment and restructuring, with a focus on private equity, infrastructure and private real estate. He joins from the €200bn asset manager PGGM, where has been senior legal counsel since 2012.Nikko Asset Management – Udo von Werne has been appointed chief executive for the EMEA region. He joins from Pictet Asset Management, where he was head of institutional clients for Continental Europe. Before then, he worked at Zurich Financial Services and UBS.BMO Global Asset Management – Jean-Michel Bongiorno has been appointed sales director for France, while Björn Bahlmann has been appointed sales director for Switzerland. Bongiorno joins from CBRE Global Investors, where he was director of investor relations for Southern Europe. Before then, he was a relationship manager at Thomson Reuters. Bahlmann joins from Morgan Stanley, where he was vice-president. Before then, he was head of products at SEB Asset Management. Hermes Investment Management – Colin Melvin has been appointed to the new role of global head of stewardship. Hans Hirt and Emma Hunt have been appointed co-heads of Hermes EOS, the company’s stewardship-services division, replacing Melvin in this role.Mercer – Ashlin Noonan has been appointed as a senior investment consultant. She joins from Cartwrights, where launched an investment consulting service. Before then, she worked at KPMG, Towers Watson and Novare Actuaries & Consultants. Noonan will provide advice on investment strategy, manager structure, manager selection and performance monitoring.Santander Asset Management – Robert McElvanney has been appointed senior portfolio strategist within the Strategic Institutional Solutions group. He joins from Aon Hewitt, where he was a principal on the investment consulting side. McElvanney has 17 years of investment experience at a number of consultancies, advising a wide range of pension fund, corporate and institutional clients. Candriam Investors Group – Chris Davies has been appointed head of UK distribution, while Derek Brander has been hired as head of UK wholesale as part of the company’s expansion in the region. Davies joins from Fidelity, while Brander joins from Natixis Asset Management.City Noble – The pensions and investment advisory firm has appointed Patricia O’Loughlin as an associate. O’Loughlin has held senior roles at a range of investment managers including Invesco Asset Management and Aviva Investors. She served as adviser to Derbyshire County Council Pension Fund for eight years and was client liaison director at Aviva Staff Pension Fund.MEAG – Andree Moschner has been appointed as a member of the board of management. He will also join the management board of ERGO on 1 April, where he will be responsible for the financial products division. He joins from Allianz Deutschland, where he was a board member.Inalytics – Jennifer Youde has been appointed as a strategic consultant in the fund-manager analysis company’s new fixed income and credit team. She joins from Goldman Sachs Asset Management, where she was a managing director.Axioma – Sunil Rajan has been appointed managing director for the EMEA region. He joins from Standard & Poor’s, where he was senior director and head of sales for EMEA Risk Solutions. He succeeds Ian Webster, who has taken on an expanded role as chief of staff.Neuberger Berman – David Rowe has been appointed head of marketing for the EMEA region. He joins from PIMCO, where he held a similar position. Before then, he worked at Threadneedle and GAM.last_img read more

MHI Vestas turbines to power Apple in Denmark

first_imgThe power produced at Esbjerg will support Apple’s data centre in Viborg, with all surplus energy going into the Danish grid. The 200-metre-tall turbines are expected to produce 62 gigawatt-hours of electricity each year. “Combatting climate change demands urgent action and global partnership — and the Viborg data centre is powerful proof that we can rise to this generational challenge,” said Lisa Jackson, Apple’s vice president of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives. “Investments in clean energy deliver breakthrough innovations that bring clean energy and good jobs to businesses and local communities. This is an area where we have to lead — for the sake of our planet and future generations.” Tech giant Apple will invest in the construction of two MHI Vestas 8.4 MW offshore wind turbines which will be installed onshore near the town of Esbjerg in Denmark.center_img In its interim financial report for the second quarter of 2020, European Energy refers to a 16.8 MW project in Denmark, dubbed Måde II, as being under construction. Apple is developing the project in partnership with European Energy. The two turbines will reportedly be installed at the Måde test site in the port of Esbjerg which is operated by European Energy. The site already hosts two MHI Vestas V164-8.0 MW wind turbines and two V117-3.45 MW units.last_img read more

Apple changes ‘Trial period policy’ after criticism from Taylor Swift

first_imgTaylor SwiftTaylor Swift has fought Apple and won.The company has been forced to reverse its payment policy  after the popular artist said she was refusing the company to stream her album 1989.Swift told Apple that she was pulling her best-selling 2014 album 1989 because the company won’t pay artists during a three-month trial period when it launches on June 30th.Now Apple says it will pay artists royalties for music streamed during trial periods.“We hear you @taylorswift13 and indie artists. Love, Apple,” tweeted executive Eddy @Cue.Swift had said the plan was “unfair”, arguing Apple had the money to cover the cost. In her letter to Apple Swift wrote:”This is not about me. Thankfully I am on my fifth album and can support myself, my band, crew, and entire management team by playing live shows. This is about the new artist or band that has just released their first single and will not be paid for its success. I realize that Apple is working towards a goal of paid streaming. I think that is beautiful progress. We know how astronomically successful Apple has been and we know that this incredible company has the money to pay artists, writers and producers for the 3 month trial period… even if it is free for the fans trying it out.”“I find it to be shocking, disappointing, and completely unlike this historically progressive and generous company,” the 25-year-old said, describing Apple as one of her “best partners in selling music”.”Three months is a long time to go unpaid, and it is unfair to ask anyone to work for nothing.“We don’t ask you for free iPhones. Please don’t ask us to provide you with our music for no compensation.”After the response from Apple Taylor Swift tweeted this: Taylor SwiftVerified account ‏@taylorswift13 I am elated and relieved. Thank you for your words of support today. They listened to us.Apple’s new service, called Apple Music, is set to become available worldwide on June 30.Besides its longstanding iTunes download store, it will include a $10 streaming subscription plan, a free Internet radio station and a media platform that will let artists upload songs, videos and other content for fans.Unlike Spotify, which lets customers listen free or pay monthly fees to eliminate ads, Apple’s subscription feature will have no permanent free level.last_img read more

BHS Takedown Hunger-A Huge Success

first_imgThe Batesville High School Wresting team used their annual BHS Invitational to raise food items for the local food pantry.  Saturday, all schools participating brought non-perishable items for a whole separate competition than what was happening on the wrestling mat.The winner was determined by the most weight donated.  Batesville won the donation award while Brown County won the wrestling tournament; however, the real winners are all who participated by donating. All schools donated their items to our own Batesville organization and 1,220 pounds of food was delivered Saturday night.Submitted by Batesville AD Mark Ferguson.last_img read more

Jones happy to end season on a high

first_img Problems with his back and then knee meant Jones did not make his first appearance of the campaign until November and having subsequently seen fairly regular action up to February, he then damaged his ankle tackling Reading’s Jobi McAnuff in an FA Cup tie. That injury kept the versatile 21-year-old, praised for his efforts in shackling Cristiano Ronaldo during the Champions League last-16 first-leg against Real Madrid, out of the return leg, in which United were eliminated. It all made for a testing time for Jones, who told the Red Devils’ official club magazine Inside United: “It has been frustrating. Certainly at the start of the season.” Press Association The England international has since won his first Barclays Premier League title, and added: “It was tough as I had a back injury and then, in the first or second training session back, I injured my knee again. It was kind of one thing after the next and I felt like ‘is this sort of thing going to end?’ “Thankfully, I got over that and played in quite a few games and cup games as well. “The cup ties really gave me a chance to have more game-time and I think I’ve done reasonably well towards the back end of the season.” Regarding the challenge on McAnuff, Jones – who can play in defence or midfield – said: “It was silly tackle. “I probably should have looked after myself a bit more. I will learn from it as an experienced head would probably not have done that. “It is in me (playing with great enthusiasm). I like making tackles. I like defending. I was gutted (to miss the Real second leg). I tried everything to make the game. “I was on the treatment table, having massages, in the pool and in the gym. But it was just too soon for me and I missed it.” center_img Manchester United’s Phil Jones is content with the way his “frustrating”, injury-hit season is finishing.last_img read more

Republic open to Given return

first_img However, O’Neill has indicated he is open to discussions with the 37-year-old, who has hinted he might like to return, as he plots the way forward after taking over from Giovanni Trapattoni. Millwall’s David Forde is currently the man in possession having replaced Sunderland’s Keiren Westwood, who took over the number one spot after Given’s retirement. Westwood is facing months on the sidelines after undergoing shoulder surgery, leaving Darren Randolph and Rob Elliot as Forde’s understudies when the squad last met up in November last year. Keane, who is manager Martin O’Neill’s assistant, will watch the Teessiders in their Sky Bet Championship clash with Charlton at the Riverside Stadium. Given, whose loan spell at Boro from parent club Aston Villa is due to expire at the end of next month, retired from international football after the Euro 2012 finals with 125 senior caps to his name. Press Associationcenter_img Roy Keane will be at Middlesbrough on Saturday as Ireland run the rule over veteran goalkeeper Shay Given.last_img read more