25 March 2013A comprehensive security strategy has been developed by the South African government to ensure the safety of delegates attending the 5th BRICS Summit starting in Durban on Tuesday.Addressing the media in Pretoria on Monday, Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa said that “uncompromising security measures” had been implemented for the summit.These include VIP safety, route, venue and accommodation security, crowd management, port of entry deployments, traffic control, and rapid-response teams ready to deal with any contingency.“Law enforcement agencies will be everywhere, ready for any eventuality,” Mthethwa said. “We shall be deploying approximately 1 900 SA Police Service members and 1 100 designated officers drawn from other agencies, including from Metro Police and Defence.“In total, we shall have a capacity of 3 000 law enforcement officers, and these are members who have acquired vast experience in policing major international events.”As with other special events successfully hosted by South Africa in the past, Mthethwa said all security-related operations around the BRICS Summit were being coordinated through a National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (Natjoints).Established in order to plan, implement, execute and monitor all inter-departmental and cross-provincial operations affecting safety, security and stability in the country, the Natjoints has seen South Africa gain an international reputation as a leader in major event security.Mthethwa said the safety of law-abiding South Africans would in no way be compromised by the BRICS operation. “Whilst the local and global attention may be in Durban, normal policing will continue unhindered.”He added that the police would also use the summit as an opportunity to engage their counterparts on security matters.“The hosting of this important gathering provides the South African government with an opportunity of sharing of experiences, tactics and mechanisms with all BRICS countries on crime and fighting corruption.“We shall also tap into possible cooperation on various issues such as training in different areas of public safety.”Source: SAnews.gov.za
INTERNATIONAL journalists from Brazil, Russia and China – all Brics member countries – are in South Africa for a week-long infrastructure media tour, hosted by Brand South Africa.The purpose of the tour is to drive a positive perception change about the country and its people to the international community, in line with the Brand South Africa international mandate.“Our reputation as a country is important as it affects our national competitiveness, which impacts on investment, jobs, growth and conversely on our national sense of pride and social cohesion.This exercise is an important step [in] attracting foreign direct investment, enabling trade and supporting efforts towards seeding a positive perception about South Africa with international investors and the global community at large,” noted Miller Matola, Brand South Africa’s chief executive officer.The delegation travelled on the Gautrain, a mass rapid transit railway system in Gauteng Province, linking Johannesburg, Pretoria, and OR Tambo International Airport, making their way to the Sheraton Hotel in Tshwane on 24 June. Here, they were addressed by Tshwane’s deputy city manager, Lindiwe Kwele, who spoke about the city’s long-term growth and development strategy, the Tshwane 2055 Vision.This Vision, which is in the final stages of being drawn up, will serve as a guide to turning the South African capital into “a Smart City” for its residents. The roll-out of smart meters was one of the bold steps the city is undertaking to build a smart city, said Kwele.She explained that the Vision for 2055 was inspired by the Freedom Charter, which was ratified in 1955. The Freedom Charter was the statement of core principles of the South African Congress Alliance, which consisted of the African National Congress and its allies, the South African Indian Congress, the South African Congress of Democrats and the Coloured People’s Congress. It is characterised by its opening statement: The people shall govern!Tshwane’s deputy city manager Lindiwe Kwele spoke about the City’s long-term growth and development strategyTshwane 2055 is busy implementing Smart City programmes, such as Smart economy, Smart people, Smart govern, Smart mobility, and Smart partnerships. Its A Re Yeng bus transit system was also high on the agenda at the meeting. It will convert the city, which was built for the use of cars, to one built for affordable, reliable and accessible public transport.Brand South Africa aims to mobilise the global South African network behind programmes of investment recruitment, skills identification, mentoring, skills transfer, study exchange and work experience initiatives. The delegation includes experts in the fields of international affairs, finance, and business.The delegationQin Chen from China works for Caixin Century, a leading magazine, and reports on economic and finance news. It has a weekly circulation of about 240 000 and is distributed in the cities of Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou and Shenzhen, as well as in 35 second-tier cities catering to political, financial, industrial and academic leaders.Chen is a senior reporter on the finance and international desk. She has had one-on-one interviews with, among others, the former American national security adviser, Douglas Paal; the Belgian vice-prime minister, Didier Reynders; the Polish central bank governor, Marek Belka; Slawomir Majman, the president of Invest in Poland; and the South African transport minister, Dikobe Ben Martins; as well as many Fortune 500 chief executive officers.Lu Yifeng is a reporter on Wenhui Daily, a comprehensive daily newspaper run directly by the Communist Party of China Shanghai Committee. It reports on the latest Chinese, international and financial news and offers its readers an authoritative, in-depth analysis on current trends. He is the editor of the international desk and is in charge of planning and editorial, which covers Sino-United States relations, the Asia Pacific region and Brics.Brazilian Davi Etelvino is the publisher of Rodovias & Vias, an infrastructure magazine. The reader profile ranges from investors and politicians to entrepreneurs and technicians.The monthly magazine distributes over 30 000 copies to leading companies, government departments and the country’s national and regional congresses.Lúcia de Camargo is a reporter and sub-editor on Brazil’s Diáario do Comércio newspaper. It was founded in 1925 and is edited and published by the Associação Commerial de São Paulo. It prints four publications a week in 23 Brazilian states.Russian journalist Alexander Kokcharov is an infrastructure reporter and London correspondent on Expert News Magazine. The magazine is a business weekly and an analytical publication published every Monday. It has a circulation of 70 000, including 40 000 in Moscow.The media tour ends on 27 June in Port Elizabeth. The delegation will visit the port to view the state-of-the-art motor vehicle terminal, which is able to load and offload one vehicle every 30 seconds.
10 July 2014Despite a defiant century from in-form Hashim Amla, the Proteas slumped to an 87-run defeat to Sri Lanka in the second one-day international at Pallekele International Cricket Stadium in Kandy on Wednesday.Sri Lanka’s victory levelled the three-match series at 1-1, with the series-decider set to be played in Hambantota on Saturday.Top scoreAfter winning the toss, Sri Lankan skipper Angelo Mathews elected to bat and it proved a good decision as Tillikaratne Dilshan led the way from the top of the order with an innings of 86 off 90 balls to help the home team to 267 all out after 49.2 overs.Mahela Jayawardene weighed in with a slowish 48, while Lahiru Thirimanne contributed 36 and Matthews 34.Steyn injuryUnfortunately for the Proteas, they lost fast bowler Dale Steyn to a hand injury in only his third over when he tried to take a sharp caught and bowled off a shot by Dilshan. Fortunately for South Africa, however, fears that he might have broken the hand were later dispelled and he could be available for Saturday’s showdown.In Steyn’s absence, Ryan McLaren once again underlined his all-round value to the team with a return of 4 for 48 from his 10 overs. Imran Tahir snared 2 for 41 in his 10, while Vernon Philander returned 2 for 49 in 7.2.Amla’s excellenceOnly three South Africans reached double figures in the Proteas’ batting reply. Despite this, Amla struck his third consecutive century, following tons against a Sri Lankan Board President’s XI and against Sri Lanka in the first ODI. He made 101 off 102 balls, in an innings of just 180 all out.“He’s an amazing cricketer and it is great to have him in our side, especially when he is playing like that,” South African captain AB de Villiers said in a post-match interview. “Even though we lost tonight, we still have confidence in him and the whole batting line-up to get it right in the last game.”DamageNew ball bowler Lasitha Malinga did plenty of damage to the South African batting, claiming a haul of 4 for 24 in six overs, but it was the Sri Lankan spinners who put the skids under the South African batting effort by taking wickets and restricting scoring.Dilshan secured the man of the match award by following up his 86 with a return of 3 for 40 with the ball. Ajantha Mendis also excelled, picking up 2 for 18 in 6.1 overs.‘I’m very disappointed’“I’m very disappointed. I thought we started really, really slowly with the ball, but pulled it back nicely to what seemed like a decent total to chase down,” De Villiers said.“We started really well with the bat and Hash played an amazing innings, but we unfortunately could just not form partnerships around him, so it’s very disappointing, but we are still in the series and we’ll move on to Hambantota and try and fix things there.‘A big blow’Assessing what the loss of Steyn meant to South Africa’s chances in the big loss, he concluded: “Look, losing Dale was a big blow up front. I thought the guys tried really hard right until the end of our bowling innings. I thought we did extremely well to get it down to 260-odd, which was chaseable, not easy, but chaseable.“I would have liked to see us get closer than what we did.”
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Man Utd legend Neville: Contract will help De Gea settleby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United legend Gary Neville says a new contract could see David De Gea return to form.The Spaniard hasn’t been himself this season, but Neville says a new deal until 2023 could settle the 28-year-old.Neville told Sky Sports: “De Gea has had a difficult time in the Premier League and he’s had difficulties at home where he’s lost his place in the national team. I don’t think he’s fully recovered from the poor World Cup in 2018, and he’s made more mistakes in the last 15 months than ever before.”But I’ve got to believe that this is good news and hope that what’s happened in the last 12 to 15 months has been a result of the ongoing speculation. The hope is that now he’s signed, he can settle down and start performing.”United need a spine. They had eight academy players in the squad on Saturday, but their problem isn’t the academy. The problem is that they haven’t got a strong, dominant spine, but De Gea can be the start of that.”
Wijnaldum full of praise for Adrian over Liverpool impactby Paul Vegas15 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveGini Wijnaldum was full of praise when asked about Liverpool teammate Adrian.The Spanish goalkeeper enjoyed an unforgettable debut for the Reds this season, helping them win on penalties in the UEFA Super Cup final over Chelsea.An injury to Alisson on opening day has seen the 30-year-old help Liverpool maintain eight straight wins, with his contribution not going unrecognised by his teammates.”Since the first day he settled quite well,” Wijnaldum told the club’s website. “He speaks with everyone and he’s a good person, everyone talks with him.”You could see that he was not shy. Normally when players come in they always look, ‘Who can I talk to?’ and everything, but he talks with everyone. Before the game, he says what he wants to say.”Basically since the day he came in he was already one of us.”He added: “He’s done a really good job. If you see the kind of saves he makes, really important saves during the games.”He also has a big influence on the results we had.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
“I think it’s important and I don’t think we give it enough focus in that industry. I want to inspire others as well and give everyone the opportunity to get out there and learn those lessons. For anyone who doesn’t hunt but wants to, we can help out with that. They’re all good lessons to have.”Skage, being a life-long hunter, says the inspiration for the show was based on seeing how excited his son was when he first took him hunting.“When I seen how he was when I took him for the first time into the woods, just that excitement, I got excited and it revitalized me.”The show will premiere on Wild TV on April 16 at 8:00 p.m. EDT. FORT NELSON, B.C. – A locally produced TV series will be premiering this Tuesday on Wild TV.For the past year, Fort Nelson Resident, Mark Skage, has been producing episodes for a series called Start ’em Young.According to Skage, the show aims to inspire and teach youngsters the skills and knowledge of hunting.
Amritsar: Congress president Rahul Gandhi and Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh paid floral tributes at the Jallianwala Bagh Memorial here on Saturday to mark the centenary of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre. Gandhi, Singh, Punjab minister Navjot Singh Sidhu, accompanied by some other Congress leaders, paid floral tributes at the memorial inside the Jallianwala Bagh in the morning. They also observed a two-minute silence to remember those who were massacred in the tragic incident on April 13, 1919. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c details Gandhi arrived at Amritsar late on Friday night. Upon his arrival, the Congress chief, accompanied by Singh, went straight to the Golden Temple here and paid obeisance. Singh and Punjab Governor V P Singh Badnore had also taken part in a candlelight march on the eve of the centenary of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre on Friday evening as part of the various events organised by the Punjab government to mark the historic occasion. Singh had termed the tragic event as a heart-wrenching moment in India’s history. The massacre took place at Jallianwala Bagh in Amritsar during the Baisakhi festival in April 1919 when troops of the British Indian Army under the command of Colonel Dyer opened fire at a crowd of people holding a pro-independence demonstration, leaving several dead and scores injured.
Former Florida coach and current ESPN analyst Urban Meyer has agreed in principle to become Ohio State’s next head football coach, according to a report from WKMG-TV in Orlando. An OSU spokesman on Wednesday did not deny that Meyer will be the Buckeyes next coach. According to the WKMG-TV report, the deal is worth $40 million over seven years, which would make Meyer the highest paid coach in OSU history. “We have not been commenting on rumors and speculation,” university spokesman Jim Lynch said in an email to The Lantern. Meyer released a statement through ESPN denying a deal is in place. “I have not been offered any job nor is there a deal in place,” Meyer said in the statement. “I plan on spending Thanksgiving with my family and will not comment on this any further.” If the report is true, Meyer will be replacing interim coach Luke Fickell, who has led the Buckeyes to an 6-5 regular season record. Meyer began his coaching career at OSU when he accepted a graduate-assistant position for the Buckeyes in 1986 as the tight end coach. He became a wide receiver coach the following year. For the next 13 years, Meyer served as an assistant coach, which included stints at Illinois State, Colorado State and Notre Dame. In 2001, Meyer accepted his first head coaching position at Bowling Green where he led the Falcons to a 17-6 record in his two years there. He left to accept another head coaching job at the University of Utah in 2003. Meyer led the Utes to a 10-2 record and was named Coach of the Year in the Mountain West Conference. The following season, Meyer coached Utah to an undefeated season and beat Pittsburgh in the Fiesta Bowl, 35-7. It was the first time since the creation of the BCS that a school from a non-automatically qualifying BCS conference was able to run the table and finish the year without a loss. After the 2004 season, both Florida and Notre Dame pursued Meyer to become their next head coach. Meyer chose Florida and signed a $14 million contract. Meyer went 9-3 during his first year as the Gators coach, including a 31-24 victory of Iowa in the Outback Bowl. During his second year as Florida coach, Meyer led the Gators to a National Championship and 13-1 record by defeating the OSU 41-14 in the BCS Championship Game. Two years later, Florida won another National Championship after defeating the University of Oklahoma in the BCS Championship Game, 24-14. On Dec. 26, 2009, Meyer announced he would be resigning as coach of Florida following the team’s scheduled appearance in the BCS Sugar Bowl due to chest pains and severe headaches. The following day, Meyer announced an indefinite leave of absence instead of resigning. On Jan. 1, 2010, Meyer coached the Gators to a 51–24 Sugar Bowl victory against Cincinnati. After the win, Meyer took time off, but returned to his role as Gators head coach in time for the start of spring practice. Florida went 7-5 during the 2010 regular season, but on Dec. 8 Meyer announced his retirement from coaching. In his final game as Gator head coach, Florida beat Penn State in The Outback Bowl, 37-24. In 2011, Meyer accepted a position at ESPN working as a college football analyst.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 25 Sept 2014 – The HOPE foundation for Autism Awareness this weekend welcomes Michael McGinty for a back to school workshop for teachers. McGinty, with a Master’s in Education is a specialist for detecting and working with autism… among the topics, creating an educational plan, interventions within traditional and special classrooms and instructional accommodations. The workshop is set for the Occasions Ballroom, Airport Hotel this Saturday, from 10am to 2pm. Related Items:HOPE foundation for Autism Awareness, michael mcginty Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp