Donegal Gardai have issued a new phone scam warning.Local Gardai have been informed of a scam being operated by people claiming to be working on behalf of Eir broadband.Once again the bogus callers are asking people for their personal bank details. Gardai have revealed that the latest scam number begins with the numbers 07158.A Garda spokesman said “Please be cautious and again, never give personal details out over the phone. Genuine Eir broadband services do not call requesting personal details over the phone.“Hang up and take note of the number if possible.”And they pleaded with members of the public across the county to keep them informed of any possible scams doing the rounds. “Let your local Gardaí know if you receive a scam call as we can warn others if/when a new scam type comes to light,” said a spokesman.Donegal Gardai issue new phone scam warning was last modified: August 24th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:broadbanddonegaleirphonescam
Officials in Kyrgyzstan are already pointing the finger at the crew of a Turkish Boeing 747-400 freighter that slammed into a village while trying to land in wintry conditions on Monday, killing 37 people and destroying at least 15 houses.But the company which operated the flight, MyCargo Airlines, cautioned there was still no clear or confirmed information about the crash.The freighter was on a run from Hong Kong to the Kyrgyz capital of Bishkek.A state-run news agency said preliminary information had prompted Kyrgyz Deputy Prime Minister Muhammetkaly Abulgaziev to conclude that “crew error” had led to the crash at the village of Dacha-Suu, near Bishkek’s Manas Airport.The Aviation Herald said the plane, being operated by MyCargo for Turkish Airlines as flight TK-6491, was on final approach to Bishkek’s runway when it attempted a go-around but failed to climb to safety.Initial reports said all four crew and 28 people on the ground had died but CNN later quoted Kyrgyzstan’s emergency situations ministry as saying there were 37 fatalities and at least 15 houses destroyed.Images of the scene showed wreckage towering above ruined buildings.ACT Airlines, which operates as MyCargo, confirmed the deaths of its four crew members and said there was no clear and confirmed information about the cause of the accident. It also cited 33 civilian deaths.“Captain Ä°brahim Gürcan Diranci and first officer KazÄ±m Ondul are ex-military pilots who have represented Turkish Air Force for many years abroad,’’ it said. “Our captain has a total of 10,821 flight hours of which 833 hours are on B744. Our first officer has a total of 5910 flight hours of which 1771 hours are on B744.’’The company it said it had commissioned two pilots to investigate the tragedy and was sending technical staff to site to help in the investigation by Kyrgyz and Turkish authorities.It said there had been no problems reported during the flight and the crew had rested for 69 hours in Hong Kong before the six-hour flight carrying 85,618kg of general cargo.There were no faults in the technical log of the freighter, which was manufactured in 2003 and joined the company in late 2015, and maintenance had been carried out “in a timely manner and according to the aviation standards”.“According to the first findings, it is understood that the reason of the related accident is not caused by technical reasons or loading related factors,’’ the company said. “The actual reason of the accident will be shared with the public after the inspection of aircraft and the place where the accident happened.’’
A chance top to learn is the excitement of the upcoming Fifa World Cup to children in disadvantage areas of South Africa (Image: “A chance to play”) MEDIA CONTACTS • Claudia Berker “A chance to play” +27 11 403 7311 +27 82 221 2184 firstname.lastname@example.org RELATED ARTICLES • Transforming lives through sport • Reviving sport in SA schools • Street Child Cup kicks off in SA • Boost for school football Nosimilo Ramela“A chance to play” programme – spearheaded by Volkswagen Group Works Council and child aid organisation terre des hommes Germany – is bringing the joy of sport, important life lessons and 2010 Fifa World Cup fever to thousands of disadvantaged youngsters in South Africa.The initiative was launched here in April 2008 after employees of the vehicle manufacturer and aid group identified the need to improve the lives of young South Africans by linking play and sports with learning and training schemes, said coordinator Claudia Berker.“We looked at what was lacking in children’s lives and we found that sports and playing were missing,” she said. “Sports and playing were seen as a luxury in many of the communities – it shouldn’t be a luxury, it should be part of growing up.”The programme is linked with nine non-governmental organisations working with children in three provinces around South Africa: Limpopo, Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.“We provide funding for these organisations and they come up with concepts that are adapted to those specific communities’ sports, playing and learning interests and needs,” Berker said.So far the programme has reached 30 000 children between the ages of four and 20 across the three provinces. In addition, eight community sport fields have been revamped, six recreational centres and playgrounds have been upgraded, and several community crèches have been extended to include play centres with toy libraries and jungle gyms.“We also organise regular coaching clinics for soccer, netball, rugby and basketball, and hold soccer tournaments and leagues for girls and boys,” said Berker.At sporting events hosted by “A chance to play”, youngsters receive life skills training, learn about HIV/Aids and how to deal with peer pressure, as well as gain a better understanding of gender relations. Personal development, career guidance and children’s rights are also part of the training.“We use their experiences when playing to teach them valuable lessons they can use to deal with challenges of everyday lives,” she said.“Through sport children learn key skills such as team spirit, playing fair, and gain self-confidence. They can work out their frustrations and fears, become more courageous, and feel integrated and accepted as part of a team.”Bringing the World Cup closerAll children involved in the programme will play in a mini Football World Cup in the June-July school holidays to celebrate the long-awaited Fifa spectacular.Participants have been split into different groups to mimic the 32 teams in the World Cup, and are being encouraged to learn more about the country and the people they will represent. During the mini tournament they will display their chosen country’s culture and spirit through singing, celebrations and football skills.“This has really instilled patriotism in the children – not only are they learning about other countries, they are getting to know their own land better as they compare different cultures. They are learning about the significance of this big event being in Africa, and in their country,” said Berker.Parents of children involved in the programme are thrilled with its results. Before joining some youngsters would roam the streets after school or during school holidays, but now they have engaging sports activities to keep them busy.Berker said many parents have reported that their relationships with their children have improved, as the programme gives participants a sense of purpose and teaches discipline.She said parents are relieved that their youngsters are out learning and playing in a safe environment, rather than running the risk of falling into the wrong crowd, getting caught up in crime or being promiscuous.“This is not just building and giving hope to young people, but also to the communities they live in,” said Berker.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s idea of building smart cities may not have found reverberations in Jharkhand’s saffron unit, but former deputy Chief Minister and Ajsu Party chief Sudesh Kumar Mahto seems to have grabbed it with both hands, and already unveiled a “vision document” on how he intends to build a “smart Jharkhand.”AJSU has always been a trusted BJP ally; having played crucial role in formation of four BJP led government in Jharkhand. However, in the run up to the assembly polls scheduled later this year; BJP Jharkhand unit appear averse to a tie up with AJSU, hoping to once again ride piggyback on Narendra Modi and singlehandedly win the State.On the other hand, AJSU which currently has six MLAs in the 82-member State Assembly is also hopeful to augment its strength in the coming election.Sudesh Mahto’s vision document, released early this month, promises to deliver Information Technology equipped police stations, a special highway patrol force, CCTV cameras for 24×7 vigil at public places including railway stations, bus stands, shopping complexes, besides setting up sports colleges in every district, industry-linked skill development, tapped drinking water for all homes and state-of-the-art public transport facility for villagers.Sudesh Kumar MahtoThe idea is clearly to convey to the electorates that AJSU– and not Jharkhand BJP unit– has the skills and commitment to translate Modi’s ideas into reality in Jharkhand. The Vision document is also Sudesh Mahto’s idea of effectively kicking off the election campaign and also bag the first-mover advantage. The jarring irony is that the faction ridden team saffron in Jharkhand is not even accusing AJSU of hijacking Modi’s dreams.advertisementAfter the Lok Sabha election results in Jharkhand, which showed an increasing number of Jharkhand electorates ready to buy the Modi dream, helping BJP win 12 of the 14 seats from the State, AJSU is clearly trying position itself a notch above BJP as the perfect executioners for the idea of a smart Jharkhand.”Our vision document is our undertaking to ensure a good life to Jharkhand’s 3.30 crore people,” Sudesh Mahto told India Today, spelling out his poll plank for the ensuing Assembly elections. Jharkhand is still deprived of basic amenities even 14 years after the state’s formation.Through the vision document, titled Shashakt Jharkhand, Samridhha Jharkhand (Empowered Jharkhand, prosperous Jharkhand), Sudesh Mahto has promised good governance, improved law and order, electricity for all in addition to special focus on education. The Naxal infested State starves for security of common people. Besides promises of setting up a world class Sports University, promoting tourism and providing power to all villages are surely attractive, if not unachievable.Sudesh also has a credible track record as a public representative. As Road Construction minister, Mahto got his constituency Silli roads while he brought check dams as minister for water resources. The Rural Development and Self Employment Training Institute (RUDSET) in Silli won the award for being the second-best RUDSET in the country in 2012-13. As sports minister, he got Silli an artificial turf stadium.As a politician, Sudesh Mahto thrives on votes of the numerically significant Kurmi community, his castemen besides youth and women, who turn up in massive presence in his rallies. Out of power in Jharkhand, the Ajsu party has also staked claim for Jharkhand’s special status. Now, he seems to have stolen a march on BJP by grabbing Modi’s ideas better than saffron cousins in Jharkhand.