Groups chart ways to improve foodborne illness probes

first_img “Just the fact that the meeting was held was an important sign that the issue is being taken seriously,” he said. Coalition offers resourcesTim Jones, MD, state epidemiologist for the Tennessee Department of Health, attended the meeting and gave the group an overview of projects launched by the Council to Improve Foodborne Outbreak Response (CIFOR). The group is led by the Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists and the National Association of County and City Health Officials. It receives funding from the CDC and collaborates with a host of other federal agencies and public health organizations. The FSIS plans to publish reports on the meeting and exercise within the next few months, he said. For example, he said the group learned that local authorities need to know more specific details when food products are recalled in the event of an illness outbreak. “Sometimes they don’t hear from federal or state officials” and don’t know what has been recalled, he said. CIFOR’s work is one example of how seriously public health groups are taking the need to improve outbreak investigations, Jones said. Others include the EpiReady program, which teaches authorities how to conduct investigations, and various tabletop exercises. David Goldman, assistant administrator in the FSIS office of public health, told CIDRAP News that the 2-day event sparked robust discussions about a range of topics. “What we wanted the presenters to do was be candid about the problems they confront,” he said. The meeting was held in St Louis on May 15 and was followed the next day by a tabletop exercise that simulated a multistate Escherichia coli outbreak involving ground beef. The 2-day event was attended by officials from the US Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), the Food and Drug Administration, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, plus state and local public health officials, food industry groups, university researchers, and consumer groups. Goldman said the tabletop exercise afterward was useful because it raised all of the concerns that had been discussed during the meeting. “And people who were unfamiliar with outbreak investigations learned a lot about them. It illuminated the problems and the obstacles,” he said. Some participants shared their frustrations about difficulties in getting information from regulatory agencies and industry. “Some of the information can’t be shared readily due to the laws that regulatory agencies operate under,” Hedberg said. Apr 25 USDA press release on outbreak investigation meeting (Problems in the dissemination of food safety information were the topic of a lengthy report released yesterday by a group called the Food Safety Research Consortium. See May 22 story link below for more information.) Oct 23, 2007, CIDRAP News story “USDA announces plans to reduce E coli contamination in ground beef” Recall messages could be better crafted to reflect more clearly that the recalled product is harmful and should not be consumed, Hedberg said. “The focus should be on the desired behavior of the consumer.” May 23, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – Federal agencies that play key food safety roles recently held a public meeting to clarify the obstacles public health officials encounter in investigating foodborne disease outbreaks and to build support for measures to improve the process. Craig Hedberg, PhD, associate professor of environmental health sciences at the University of Minnesota School of Public Health in Minneapolis, attended the meeting and took part in the tabletop exercise. He said the discussions were useful for charting the patterns that have occurred in outbreak investigations and fleshing out plans for improving them. Jones said CIFOR, now in its third year, has established an online source for questionnaires and outbreak training resources, has developed guidelines for multistate outbreak investigations, and is working on several other initiatives. Hedberg said that though many important issues were raised at the meeting, it’s clear that quick fixes are unrealistic. “Part of it is changing people’s normal work patterns. A lot of it is culture change that has to occur across the system,” he said. “Everyone is in theory committed to better communication and more transparency—the devil is in the details.” The FSIS had announced that it would explore how to improve outbreak investigations last October, as it unveiled measures to address a spike in E coli outbreaks linked to ground beef. See also: Whether a food recall is voluntary or mandatory is largely a technical issue, he said. However, focusing on whether a recall is voluntary or mandatory can lead some of the public to think that the associated outbreak isn’t an important public health problem. Hedberg also said a focus on the role of local officials was a useful outcome of the meeting. “People from local departments describe how they feel left out of larger multistate outbreak investigations, but local agencies are the ones interviewing the cases,” he said. “And sometimes it’s not apparent why the case should be at the top of their priorities.” Other issues that were raised at the meeting, Hedberg said, included the need to improve methods for assessing case-patients’ food exposures and the view of some experts that food recalls, as currently administered, don’t convey an adequate level of warning to consumers. May 22 CIDRAP News story “Experts propose steps to ease food safety info flow” All outbreaks start locallyOne of the major themes that participants emphasized was the important role of local public health officials, Goldman said. “Outbreak investigations can be quite complex, but everything starts locally with one or two cases,” he said. CIFOR Web sitelast_img read more

Update: Man Utd ‘almost ready’ to take a chance on Osimhen

first_img Loading… Promoted ContentNothing Compares To Stargazing Places Around The WorldEverything You Need To Know About Asteroid ArmageddonBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made7 Universities In The World With The Highest Market ValueBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemFantastic-Looking (and Probably Delicious) Bread Art8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its GrowthThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?8 Most Beautiful Chinese WomenTop Tastiest Foods From All Over The World7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The Universe This resolved Osimhen’s hesitation at accepting Napoli, so intensive negotiations with Lille found a breakthrough earlier this week, with medicals expected on Thursday or Friday. However, the change of agent created a whole new set of problems, as it’s reported in CalcioNapoli24, Sky Sport Italia, La Gazzetta dello Sport, Tuttosport and others that D’Avila has promised a massive improvement on the salary negotiated by the previous representative, pledging to get him €5m net plus add-ons. Napoli, on the other hand, have already signed off on the contract worth €3.5-4m net plus circa €2m in performance-related bonuses and do not intend to change it now. CalcioNapoli24 even claim that Osimhen’s agent has asked around various Premier League clubs, including Manchester United, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur, to see if they would be interested in entering a bidding war. Il Mattino newspaper points specifically to Manchester United as trying to ‘tempt’ Osimhen’s new agent. read also:Osimhen’s agent asks for more time as Spurs re-activate bid with Man Utd, Liverpool Napoli are increasingly irritated, but still trying to get the deal completed at the figures they had already agreed with the player. Considering this €80m deal would make him the most expensive player in Napoli’s history, they are looking elsewhere, with Real Madrid prepared to let Luka Jovic go out on loan. However, if he were to leave Madrid, then Milan would be his preferred destination. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 center_img Following the sudden break-up in the transfer negotiations between  Napoli and  Victor Osimhen’s new agent, Manchester United have stepped in to make contact for wantaway Nigeria and Lille striker. Serie A giants Napoli were believed to be on the verge of signing him after agreeing a £46million fee with Lille. Yet journalist Ciro Venerato claims that United have not given up the race to land Osimhen just yet. He told CalcioNapoli24: “A few hours ago Manchester United phoned Osimhen’s new agent to find out if he had signed with Napoli. “If an offer from United comes, there would not be many possibilities because they have an economic power superior to that of Napoli.” Osimhen has quickly emerged as one of Europe’s top prospects following a breakout season in France. Napoli had refused to increase the salary already agreed with Osimhen’s previous agent, as the €80m transfer from Lille is back in doubt again. This is one of those sagas that could go on for most of the summer, as it has already dragged on for weeks. First Osimhen was unconvinced by the move and felt under pressure from his agent, who had negotiated an excellent commission package for himself. The Nigerian striker then sacked his representative and brought in a new intermediary, named in the Italian media as William D’Avila.last_img read more