Egypt confirm Salah will be fit for World Cup

first_imgWorld Cup Salah fit for World Cup as Egypt confirm three-week injury absence Chris Burton Last updated 1 year ago 23:54 5/30/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(5) Mohamed Salah Liverpool 2017-18 Getty Images World Cup Mohamed Salah Liverpool Egypt Premier League It was feared that the Liverpool forward could miss out altogether on a global showpiece, but it is hoped he will play some part in the group stage The Egyptian Football Association has revealed that Mohamed Salah’s absence through injury will “not exceed three weeks”, meaning that the Liverpool forward will play some part at World Cup 2018.After being forced to leave the Champions League final in tears , fears were immediately raised as to the 25-year-old’s possible participation at a global showpiece in Russia this summer.Various timescales have been put on Salah’s recovery, although the man himself was quick to declare himself “confident” that he would be ready for international duty as the furore surrounding an untimely knock swirled around him. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Goalkeeper crisis! Walker to the rescue but City sweating on Ederson injury ahead of Liverpool clash Out of his depth! Emery on borrowed time after another abysmal Arsenal display Diving, tactical fouls & the emerging war of words between Guardiola & Klopp Sorry, Cristiano! Pjanic is Juventus’ most important player right now Hani Abo Rida, president of the Egyptian FA, has now confirmed that a talismanic presence for the Pharaohs will need three weeks in which to recover full fitness, with it possible that he could play some part in the group stage for Hector Cuper’s side.A statement released by the EFA on their official social media channels read: “After the meeting of Abo Rida and the doctor of the national team in Spain today, the Football Association reaffirms that, God willing, Salah’s absence at the World Cup will not exceed three weeks.”Salah is currently in Spain to undergo treatment on a shoulder problem.He faces a race against time to recover full fitness in time to feature for Egypt at their first World Cup finals since 1990.Their 2018 campaign is due to get underway against Uruguay on June 15 , with Salah seemingly destined to sit out that encounter.He may come back into contention for a meeting with hosts Russia on June 19, while Egypt will be hoping there is still something riding on a clash with Saudi Arabia on June 25 if their star frontman is to be unavailable until then.Mohamed Salah World Cup CartoonThey are desperate to get Salah involved in their plans after seeing him net 44 times across a remarkable 2017-18 campaign with Liverpool.Those exploits landed him the Premier League Golden Boot and PFA Player of the Year award, among countless other prizes, with a standing now established as a global superstar.His popularity has surged inside and outside of Egypt, with the current struggles of a national icon seeing some extreme measures taken by his most loyal followers.A petition calling for Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos to face punishment for the arm grab which caused Salah’s injury has passed 500,000 signatures, while an Egyptian lawyer has filed a €1 billion (£873m/$1.2bn) lawsuit against the Blancos defender .last_img read more

Lawsuit goes after BC for isolating inmates

first_imgA new class-action lawsuit wants to seek damages for inmates subjected to solitary confinement.Kathleen MartensAPTN NewsA class-action lawsuit is seeking damages for time spent in solitary confinement on behalf of thousands of inmates in B.C. jails.The suit, filed last week in B.C. Supreme Court, still needs to be certified by a judge.If approved, lawyer James Sayce said he will pursue compensation for “lasting and permanent harms” incurred by people subjected to isolation.“In our view there are international standards which apply to the use of solitary confinement in jails,” he said from Toronto.“Solitary confinement should be a tool of last resort.”B.C. Corrections declined to comment for this story but said it intended to file a statement of defence.“With this matter before the courts, it would be inappropriate to comment further,” a spokeswoman added.Sayce, of the Koskie-Minsky firm, said B.C. uses solitary confinement for two reasons – administrative or disciplinary.But, he said, there aren’t “sufficient safeguards” to protect prisoners from being subjected to an abuse of those reasons.“The prison authorities will often justify the use of solitary confinement in inappropriate means,” he said in a telephone interview.Solitary confinement, Sayce said, should be used “sparingly” and, for some inmates, not at all.And when used, “a person should be released from solitary at the earliest possible time.”Concerns about practiceThe lawsuit applies to anyone – male and female – who spent time in solitary confinement while serving a sentence of less than two years in a B.C. correctional facility, Sayce added.“The harms associated with solitary for those groups, we say, rises to the level of cruel or unusual treatment, which is unconstitutional in this country,” he said.“People suffering from serious mental illness and people that are young – under the age of 18 – are not properly equipped to deal with the stresses of solitary confinement.”A large proportion of those inmates would be Indigenous people, like his representative plaintiff Cody Cragg of Vancouver Island, because he  said Canada has an “over-representation” of Indigenous inmates at all levels of the system.Sayce said Cragg was kept in solitary for lengthy periods while serving time at the Prince George Regional Correctional Centre despite being diagnosed with mental health issues.“It’s our submission he’s a person who should never have been placed in solitary confinement,” he said.“He’s a person who should have been given treatment in a clinical setting.”Sayce said solitary confinement is used in all provincial and federal correctional institutions.He has already certified class-action lawsuits on behalf of inmates subjected to solitary in Ontario and while serving penitentiary time.In his 2017 report, Canada’s correctional investigator said Indigenous inmates were subjected to segregation more than other inmates – and, at the same time, found the use of segregation declining for non-Indigenous prisoners.Ottawa has since moved to eradicate the practice in the federal system by tabling Bill C-83.Sayce noted there is a syndrome associated with time spent in solitary confinement and damages will be higher for prisoners who spent the most time in a cell alone – sometimes up to 22 hours a day – with no human interaction.kmartens@aptn.ca@katmartelast_img read more

DLF pares GIC debt by Rs 3100 crore plans to clear all

first_imgDLF logoWikimedia CommonsReal estate giant DLF has repaid Rs 3100 crore of debt to its venture partner GIC by transferring Noida shopping mall and some land parcels. DLF owed about Rs 8,700 crore to DLF Cyber City Developers LTD (DCCDL), which is a joint venture between DLF and Singapore sovereign wealth fund GIC. With the latest transaction, DLF’s debt has come down to about Rs 5600 crore as of July 2019.In an investor presentation, DLF clarified that it has transferred the Mall of India project in Noida, worth Rs 2950 crore, to DCCDL. The Economic Times also reported that the company also added that it has transferred 3.05 acres of land parcel in Gurugram to the Singapore-based firm. Representational ImageINDRANIL MUKHERJEE/AFP/Getty ImagesThe joint venture between GIC and DLF was signed in December 2017 when DLF promoters sold 40 percent of their stake in DCCDL to GIC for about Rs 1,200 crore. The deal included the sale of DCCDL’s 33.34 percent stake to GIC for about Rs 9,000 crore and the remaining Rs 3m000 crore was acquired by DCCDL through buyback.DLF holds about 66.66 percent in the joint venture firm and the remaining 33.34 percent is with GIC. The Gurgaon-based real estate giant has plans to sell prime commercial project Horizon Central in Gurugram for about Rs 850 crore, to settle the remaining debt of Rs 5,600 crore. The company also plans to transfer its mall in Saket for a valuation of Rs 1,050 crore, reported ET. Real estateThe report also stated that DLF will transfer its commercial land in Chennai for about Rs 1,000 crore. Some parts of the monetary settlement to GIC will be done by transferring SEZs at Hyderabad and Chennai as per the contract with group firm DLF Assets Ltd. The leftover debt of about Rs 7,00 will be paid in cash.DLF has reported a two-fold growth in its profit at Rs 414.72 crore for the June quarter against Rs 172.77 crore last year. DCCDL holds about 30 million sqft of commercial real estate in Gurugram that yields an annual revenue of about Rs 3,000 crore.last_img read more

DC Residents Tell New US Attorney Close Vincent Gray Case

first_imgChanning D. Phillips is set to be the District’s new U.S. Attorney. (U.S. Department of Justice)On Oct. 8, President Obama selected Channing D. Phillips, a former acting U.S. Attorney for the District and the senior counsel to U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch, as the city’s next top prosecutor. D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D) recommended Phillips to the president.While Phillips will be taking on a largely non-political job, he will be expected to make a major decision on a leading former officeholder in the city.Former D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray has been a leading target of an investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s office since early 2011 for his 2010 mayoral campaign’s violation of election laws. Several of his close associates have taken pleas from the U.S. Attorney’s office but Gray hasn’t been charged with any crime.Ward 8 advisory neighborhood commissioner Mary Cuthbert, who has been involved in the city’s politics since the 1960s, didn’t mention Gray by name but said that Phillips needs to “close cases that are now open.”“Those cases have been hanging on a string and they need to be closed,” Cuthbert said.Leo Alexander, who ran against Gray in 2010 for mayor, agrees with Cuthbert. “Phillips needs to close the book on the Vince Gray investigation,” Alexander said. “The investigation is a mockery of justice and a waste of time. I am no big fan of Vince Gray but the city suffered under his leadership because of the investigation that hasn’t achieved its objective.”Gray ran for re-election in 2014 but lost in the April 1 primary that year to present D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser (D). One of Gray’s opponents, D.C. Council member Jack Evans (D-Ward 2), has publicly called for the U.S. Attorney’s office’s investigation of the former mayor to wrap up.Cohen said that he wasn’t insensitive to the concerns of many District residents regarding the 2010 mayoral campaign investigation. “There are some important cases that I wish I could see through to their conclusions, but I have complete confidence in the team at the U.S. Attorney’s Office to follow through and do justice for the people of the District,” he said.Johnny Barnes, a civil rights attorney in the District and the former executive director of the ACLU of the Nation’s Capital, agrees with the sentiment in the community that the Gray matter should be closed. “The former U.S. Attorney [Machen] went beyond the role of the U.S. Attorney,” Barnes said. “I don’t think it is good to mix politics with law enforcement and the Gray matter is antiquated.”Vincent Cohen Jr., the acting U.S. Attorney, will leave office on Oct. 18. Cohen held the position for only six months and prior to that worked under U.S. Attorney Ronald Machen for five years as the principal assistant U.S. Attorney.The District’s U.S. Attorney’s office is largest in the country and deals with issues, as Cohen told the AFRO recently, from “Benghazi to Barry Farm.”Phillips, a graduate of the University of Virginia and the Howard University School of Law, will have to be confirmed by the U.S. Senate before he permanently assumes his post. He is a 16-year veteran of the U.S. Attorney’s office, starting in 1994 as an assistant U.S. Attorney and rising in the ranks to be the principal assistant U.S. Attorney from 2004-2009 and as the acting U.S. Attorney from May 2009-Febuary 2010. He has worked with the Justice Department in senior-level positions since 2011.Phillips is a native Washingtonian and is the son of the late Rev. Channing E. Phillips, who was the first Black to have his name submitted for a major party presidential nomination in 1968 at the Democratic Party convention in Chicago.last_img read more

Swiss films travelling on wheels

first_imgOn the occasion of ’70 years of Swiss-Indian friendship’, the Swiss representations in India presented the event series “70 Years of Swiss Indian Friendship: Connecting Minds – Inspiring the Future” (SIF70).The event was officially launched by the President of the Swiss Confederation, Doris Leuthard, during her State visit to India on September 1, 2017. The events and activities started in April 2017 and will continue to take place in various cities across India to highlight this important landmark until the end of 2018. Also Read – Add new books to your shelfAs a part of the event, Swiss representations in India initiated to bring the best of children’s movies from Switzerland to various regions in India. The films ‘Heidi’ and ‘My Life as a Zucchini’ are travelling on a special bus to spread the message of friendship, understanding, respect, and inclusiveness. The ‘Swiss Films on Wheels’ has been touring India since March 6. Screening the films for school students and for communities, the bus has visited more than 30 cities so far. Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsiveOn November 3, the bus arrived in Kolkata and was welcomed by Umesh Chowdhary, Honorary Consul, Consulate of Switzerland. Three NGO founded schools hosted the movies – Hamari Muskan South Kolkata, Ektara on the same day and Future Hope Foundation featured the films on November 4. Heidi directed by Alain Gsponer is a fiction film released in December 2015. The story is about Heidi, a five-year-old orphan who is taken to live with her grumpy, outcast grandfather in the Swiss mountains. Ma Vie de Courgette (My Life as Zucchini) by Claude Barras was released in 2016 and is about a little boy again. ‘Zucchini’ – an unusual nickname for a 9-year-old boy, yet his unique story is surprisingly universal. After his mother’s sudden death, Zucchini is befriended by the kind police officer Raymond, who accompanies Zucchini to his new foster home filled with other orphans his age. With this initiative, the Swiss diplomatic network in India is connecting Swiss and Indian minds that are actively shaping the future of both countries. The focus lies on creating opportunities for innovation in business, research, and technology, but also in the fields of governance, art or social inclusion.last_img read more

Mozilla releases Firefox Beta for Windows 10 on Qualcomm Snapdragon Always On

first_imgLast year in December, Mozilla announced its collaboration with Qualcomm to create an ARM64-native build of Firefox targeting Snapdragon-powered Windows 10 ‘Always On, Always Connected’ PCs. Yesterday, it shared that this Firefox build is now available in their Beta release channel. This release builds on top of Firefox Quantum, which is designed to efficiently work on multiple core processors. With this release, Mozilla aims to take this multi-paradigm one step further by making Firefox Quantum efficient for octa-core CPUs available from Qualcomm. To give users “a fast, personal, and convenient experience”, it takes advantage of Rust’s safe concurrency property to divide browsing tasks across the cores Qualcomm processors are being widely used in smartphones. At the Snapdragon Tech Summit 2018, the company shared that they are now moving into the PC space. They introduced the Always on, Always Connected PC category that aims to provide users smartphone-like features on a PC. These features include continuous connectivity and lightning-fast LTE speeds, multi-day battery life, location awareness, among others. Along with this, Qualcomm also announced that they are working with developers to bring a wide range of software applications that will be natively supported in these PCs and one of them was Firefox. Chuck Harmston, Mozilla’s senior product manager for the Firefox Arm project, said, “One of the most compelling features of Windows laptops using Qualcomm’s Snapdragon chipset is the battery life it enables, measured in days, rather than hours. We’ve been working hard to take advantage of that, offloading discrete tasks to small chips to use less power … This was a big project that spanned the Firefox organization, touching almost every part of the browser.” Developers are encouraged to try this latest Firefox beta release on their Snapdragon Windows 10 devices and submit bug and crash reports to Mozilla. To know more, check out the official announcement by Mozilla. Read Next Mozilla developers have built BugBug which uses machine learning to triage Firefox bugs Mozilla adds protection against fingerprinting and Cryptomining scripts in Firefox Nightly and Beta Mozilla is exploring ways to reduce notification permission prompt spam in Firefoxlast_img read more