Seeds of Learning can now fund another school in El Salvador

first_imgWhen the 60 students arrive in El Salvador, they will be building a school over the course of two weeks.It costs around $7,000 to build a school in the central American country, and the Rotary Club donated nine thousand dollars towards the project last month. And so, with Remax’s donation of another seven thousand on Friday, Seeds of Learning can now fund a second school. [asset|aid=1506|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=8355d77842801bd0872b67ae19eafaa5-Laychuck 2_2_Pub.mp3]Advertisement The students will be heading to El Salvador this summer. Photo: Members of the Seeds of Learning program accept a $7,000 donation from Remax Reality – Adam Reaburn/Energeticcity.caChildren in El Salvador will be getting another school, thanks to a $7,000 donation from Remax Reality. – Advertisement -Fort St. John Remax donated the money on Friday to the Seeds of Learning program. Instructor and organizer Derrick Laychuck says the students have now raised exactly 100 thousand dollars, over the past year.He says students paid for the trip themselves, and got 500 dollars back, through fundraising efforts. [asset|aid=1505|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=8355d77842801bd0872b67ae19eafaa5-Laychuck 1_2_Pub.mp3] Advertisementlast_img read more

Letterkenny driver caught with no tax, no insurance and quantity of cannabis

first_imgA car was seized in Letterkenny last week with a series of violations. Gardaí detected the car on Friday evening when they discovered neither the driver or passenger were wearing a seatbelt.Upon further inspection of the vehicle, Gardaí found that the motorist had no tax and no insurance. A small quantity of cannabis was also found.The car was seized and the driver is set to face a prosecution for the road violations – with a fixed charge penalty notice also issued.Gardaí shared details of the incident on social media this morning with a warning: “It is so important to wear your seatbelt whether you are driving or in a car as a passenger. Always ensure that your car has valid insurance and Tax/NCT before using it in a public place.”Letterkenny driver caught with no tax, no insurance and quantity of cannabis was last modified: September 9th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Sibanye – Stillwater commits to improving safety at work as it rolls out its safety strategy

first_imgSouth Africa’s economic activity is mainly centred on mining, therefore, it is important that crucial safety strategies are implemented. The safety of employees is very imperative particularly in the mining sector as success lies in the employees’ capability to work effectively in a conducive environment. It is every employee’s right to work in a safe and healthy environment, no employees should have to suffer because of preventable dangers in the work environment.In 2014 the mining sector contributed R18 billion to the South African fiscus, a total of 495,568 people were employed. With numbers like these, it has become necessary for all stakeholders to work together, to support and enable the achievement of zero harm in the workplace.Sibanye-Stillwater is the largest individual producer of precious metals in South Africa and is one of 10 largest gold producers globally. It has recently experienced a significant increase in incidents, with 20 employees having lost their lives in nine separate incidents since February 2018.In a recent statement CEO of Sibanye-Stillwater, Mr Neal Froneman said; “One life lost is one too many. We are appalled by the loss of our employees’ lives at our mines over the past few months. It pains all of us when employees are injured or lose their lives in safety incidents. While we cannot rectify the harm that has occurred, we will continue to support the families as best we can in their grief”.In the process of improving safety at all their operations, Sibanye – Stillwater rolled out a safety strategy in 2017. “The safety of employees is our primary concern and, if it is not safe to operate, we expect conditions to be fixed before work can resume at a working place. There is substantial evidence that well-organised workplaces are both safe and productive, and that is our aim”, adds Froneman.Sibanye – Stillwater has committed to;Launch a safety summit with stakeholders to work towards a common goal of reducing work-related fatal accidents and injuriesContinue to provide necessary support, including counselling, financial backing, housing, education support and other benefits to the grieving families of the deceased employeesSupport and promote adherence to Section 23 of the Mine Health and Safety ActEstablished safety programmes which inform employees, supervisors and managers about the right to withdraw from an unsafe workplace and how to apply Section 23 responsiblyInstituted a programme to promote the behaviour change required so that the right to withdraw becomes an integral part of our workplace cultureAfford employees a formal grievance procedure and an anonymous tip-offs system that any employee can use if they are given an unlawful instruction or are victimised.The launch of Digiine a collaborative partnership between Sibanye – Stillwater and the University of the Witwatersrand is expected to complement and improve safety and operating effectiveness.last_img read more

Sri Lanka level ODI series with big win over SA

first_img10 July 2014Despite a defiant century from in-form Hashim Amla, the Proteas slumped to an 87-run defeat to Sri Lanka in the second one-day international at Pallekele International Cricket Stadium in Kandy on Wednesday.Sri Lanka’s victory levelled the three-match series at 1-1, with the series-decider set to be played in Hambantota on Saturday.Top scoreAfter winning the toss, Sri Lankan skipper Angelo Mathews elected to bat and it proved a good decision as Tillikaratne Dilshan led the way from the top of the order with an innings of 86 off 90 balls to help the home team to 267 all out after 49.2 overs.Mahela Jayawardene weighed in with a slowish 48, while Lahiru Thirimanne contributed 36 and Matthews 34.Steyn injuryUnfortunately for the Proteas, they lost fast bowler Dale Steyn to a hand injury in only his third over when he tried to take a sharp caught and bowled off a shot by Dilshan. Fortunately for South Africa, however, fears that he might have broken the hand were later dispelled and he could be available for Saturday’s showdown.In Steyn’s absence, Ryan McLaren once again underlined his all-round value to the team with a return of 4 for 48 from his 10 overs. Imran Tahir snared 2 for 41 in his 10, while Vernon Philander returned 2 for 49 in 7.2.Amla’s excellenceOnly three South Africans reached double figures in the Proteas’ batting reply. Despite this, Amla struck his third consecutive century, following tons against a Sri Lankan Board President’s XI and against Sri Lanka in the first ODI. He made 101 off 102 balls, in an innings of just 180 all out.“He’s an amazing cricketer and it is great to have him in our side, especially when he is playing like that,” South African captain AB de Villiers said in a post-match interview. “Even though we lost tonight, we still have confidence in him and the whole batting line-up to get it right in the last game.”DamageNew ball bowler Lasitha Malinga did plenty of damage to the South African batting, claiming a haul of 4 for 24 in six overs, but it was the Sri Lankan spinners who put the skids under the South African batting effort by taking wickets and restricting scoring.Dilshan secured the man of the match award by following up his 86 with a return of 3 for 40 with the ball. Ajantha Mendis also excelled, picking up 2 for 18 in 6.1 overs.‘I’m very disappointed’“I’m very disappointed. I thought we started really, really slowly with the ball, but pulled it back nicely to what seemed like a decent total to chase down,” De Villiers said.“We started really well with the bat and Hash played an amazing innings, but we unfortunately could just not form partnerships around him, so it’s very disappointing, but we are still in the series and we’ll move on to Hambantota and try and fix things there.‘A big blow’Assessing what the loss of Steyn meant to South Africa’s chances in the big loss, he concluded: “Look, losing Dale was a big blow up front. I thought the guys tried really hard right until the end of our bowling innings. I thought we did extremely well to get it down to 260-odd, which was chaseable, not easy, but chaseable.“I would have liked to see us get closer than what we did.”last_img read more

Student Tablet Maker Kno Reportedly In Talks To Sell Off Its Tablet Manufacturing

first_imgWhy Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Tags:#news#web audrey watters Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Related Posts center_img Kno, the makers of single- and dual-screen tablets for students, is looking to sell off the hardware manufacturing part of its business, according to All Things Digital’s Kara Swisher. Swisher reports that “sources close to the situation” say that Kno is in talks with two major consumer electronics manufacturers.The Kno had been touted as an alternative to the iPad – and a high-profile one at that, with a $46 million investment last fall from Andreessen-Horowitz and a strong endorsement from Marc Andreessen who called the device was “the most powerful tablet anyone has ever made.” But the device has never really materialized. Initially set for release around the holidays, shipments have been delayed, according to Engadget, and Kno website now says “there aren’t enough to go around.” The Year of the Educational Tablet? Kno, short for knowledge, aimed to be a touch-screen tablet focusing on providing digital textbooks, course materials, note-taking, web access, and educational applications. The device boasted a stylus so that students could take notes directly onto the screen. But many have been skeptical about Kno’s promise of seizing the student market, due in no small part to its price, ranging from $599 for a single screen and $999 for the dual screen device.Despite some of the drawbacks with the Kno, many people (myself included) have predicted this to be the year of the educational tablet, and schools and students are moving to adopt them – iPads and Android devices alike. And while Kno may be looking to get out of the tablet manufacturing business, Swisher suggests it isn’t leaving the educational tablet market altogether. Rather, the company will shift to “deliver textbook and other student-related delivery system [that] would be a better path for all that investment money, since Kno has established a wide range of partnerships with colleges and universities.” Indeed, Kno co-founder Osman Rashid has multiple connections in the industry, as he is the co-founder of the textbook rental company Chegg. 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai…last_img read more

Woman’s family kill man over relationship in Bikaner

first_imgThree people, including the father of a woman, were arrested in Bikaner on Thursday for allegedly thrashing to death a 22-year-old man from another community who they believed was involved in a relationship with her, police said. Saif Ali Khan was abducted by nearly half a dozen people, including the father and cousin brothers of the woman, on Tuesday night, they said. He was brutally thrashed and dumped in a drain, the officials added. Police traced the victim and admitted him to a government hospital where he died yesterday morning, an official said.“The man was involved in a relationship with a woman. When the woman’s family came to know about the affair, they fixed her marriage elsewhere, but the man was trying to make contact with her so that they can elope” Sub Inspector of Naya Shahar Police Station Bhajan Lal said.Bikaner SP Swai Singh Godara said the family had fixed the woman’s marriage with another man on May 12 in haste, but Khan kept pursuing the woman. The case cannot be given a communal angle as the woman’s family members were against her marrying outside their caste, the SP added.According to police officials, a case was registered against seven persons.last_img read more

Goa mining impasse to be resolved as per law: PM

first_imgPrime Minister Narendra Modi assured a delegation of Goa MPs, legislators from ruling party and representatives of the Goa Mining People’s Front (GMPF) that the Central government would try to find solution to the mining impasse within the “four corners of the law”.Talking to The Hindu after a meeting at the Prime Minister’s Office on Wednesday, South Goa BJP MP Narendra Sawaikar, who was part of the delegation, said that no time-frame for a solution has been arrived at. “The PM heard the delegation patiently and expressed concern over the situation which has arisen in Goa after the Supreme Court stopped mining,” said Mr. Sawaikar, adding, “He, however, said a solution will be found within the four corners of the law, since the situation has arisen out of the apex court’s judgement.” Apart from two representatives of GMPF, the delegation included North Goa MP and Union Minister of State for AYUSH Shripad Naik; Goa State unit BJP president and Rajya Sabha MP Vinay Tendulkar; Goa Assembly Speaker, Pramod Sawant, the State’s Health Minister Vishwajit Rane and some ruling coalition legislators from the mining belt.Asked if the GMPF representatives were satisfied with the discussion, Mr. Sawaikar said, “The leaders of GMFP must have come with an expectation of a sure promise of restarting mining. But the Prime Minister told them the issue has to be resolved by remaining within four corners of the law and within the framework of the apex court judgement.” The mining ban has been agitating a large number of mining dependants, who directly or indirectly lost their livelihoods since the Supreme Court banned extraction and transportation of iron ore from 88 mining leases from February last year, for legal infirmities in the second renewal of leases. The State government has been asked by the SC to re-issue mining leases using appropriate procedures.last_img read more

Folayang to defend ONE title vs Nguyen at MOA Arena

first_imgFrontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  View comments LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary Alvarez ready to take risk vs Folayang, looks to end clash by ‘knockout or submission’ PLAY LIST 02:18Alvarez ready to take risk vs Folayang, looks to end clash by ‘knockout or submission’00:50Trending Articles02:03MMA legends gather in Tokyo for historic ONE: New Era fight week01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LATEST STORIES Read Next Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa FILE – ONE Championship: Kings of Destiny at Mall of Asia Arena last April 21. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netONE lightweight champion Eduard Folayang is set to defend his world title against reigning ONE Featherweight Champion Martin Nguyen in a champion-versus-champion main event of ONE: Legends of the World on November 10 at Mall of Asia Arena.The 32-year-old Folayang (18-5) is embracing his latest the challenge after disposing of Ev Ting last April.ADVERTISEMENT Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong Citycenter_img BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight MOST READ The 28-year-old Nguyen (9-1) is currently on a five-match winning streak and the Australian is motivated to become a two-division champion in the promotion.“New Year will be coming early this year, because in this fight there will definitely be fireworks. I’m out not only to make a statement, but to go down in history as the best to ever compete under the ONE Championship banner,” he said.Other fights featuring Filipino fighters are still expected to be announced in the coming weeks.ADVERTISEMENT E.T. returns to earth, reunites with grown-up Elliott in new ad  Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Irving confirms he did not talk to LeBron about trade request: ‘Why would I have to?’ Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president “As a martial artist, I am constantly in search of the biggest challenges, the biggest tests of my skills. As champion, I welcome any and all challengers and Martin is one of the best in the world and it is an honor to share the ONE Championship cage with him,” said the Team Lakay stalwart.But what excites Folayang more for the fight is to showcase his talents in front of his countrymen anew.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutHis first title defense against Ting was also held at MOA Arena.“This bout is for the fans and I can’t wait to perform in front of my hometown crowd in Manila once again. I have complete respect for my opponent’s skills and together with my brothers at Team Lakay, my coach Mark Sangiao, I’m preparing to showcase the best version of Eduard Folayang on 10 November.”last_img read more

2012 Trans Tasman Survey

first_imgTFA is committed to providing you with the most enjoyable experience at its events. Your responses to the questions within this survey will greatly assist us in this regard. Please click on the link below to complete the survey:http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2012TransTasmanlast_img

Calgarys first cat cafe marks adoption milestone

first_imgIt’s been a busy year for the Regal Cat Cafe which recently marked its 100th adoption since opening six months ago.Owner Tia Wheeler said everyone has been so welcoming. “It’s absolutely amazing, I can’t believe the response,” Wheeler said. “I can’t believe everyone is falling in love with these kitties. It’s just so fantastic to be able to help and support the MEOW foundation.”Wheeler adds the longest resident they’ve had inside the ‘kitty kingdom’ has been a month.She credits the big appeal to a love for cats and the fun space they’ve provided for people to relax.last_img read more