Manuel Vázquez Portal ends hunger-strike

first_img RSF_en News CubaAmericas September 22, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Manuel Vázquez Portal ends hunger-strike May 6, 2020 Find out more Cuba and its Decree Law 370: annihilating freedom of expression on the Internet CubaAmericas October 15, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Cuba RSF and Fundamedios welcome US asylum ruling in favor of Cuban journalist Serafin Moran Santiago to go further Receive email alerts October 12, 2018 Find out more News Organisation Manuel Vázquez Portal told his wife, Yolanda Huerga Cedeño, by telephone on 7 September that he was calling off his hunger strike because his condition of detention had improved. She was able to visit him three days later. During this visit, a state security officer put pressure on her to encourage her husband to respect prison discipline. He also urged her not to say anything to the press as this would “hurt” her husband. During the 15 minutes she was allowed to spend with her husband, he confirmed he had obtained an improvement in his conditions. He can now watch TV for four hours a day and can leave his cell without manacles on his wrists and ankles. He also has healthier food and a bigger cell. He is still being held in Aguadores prison, but the authorities have promised to return him to Boniato prison.___________________________8.09.2003Yaraí Reyes Marín said her husband, Normando Hernández González, has been transferred to Kilo 5 1/2 prison in Piñar del Río province where, according to the prison authorities, he is in solitary confinement and is forbidden from making telephone calls and receiving family visits until he calls off his hunger strike.Carlos Herrera Acosta, for his part, has reportedly been transferred to a prison in the eastern province of Camagüey.————————————-4.09.2003Manuel Vázquez Portal has been sent to Aguadores prison, in Santiago de Cuba,according to his wife and sister, who were told by state security policeand prison officials at Aguadores. The families of the two otherstransferred, Normando Hernández González and Juan Carlos Herrera Acosta,have heard nothing.————————————-3.09.2003Reporters Without Borders expressed great concern today about a hunger-strike begun by three independent Cuban journalists – Manuel Vázquez Portal, Juan Carlos Herrera Acosta and Normando Hernández González – in Boniatico prison, in the eastern city of Santiago de Cuba, to protest against their conditions of detention. Since they started the protest on 31 August, they have been transferred to another prison in an unknown location.”This is the second hunger-strike in the space of a month by journalists jailed in Cuba,” the press freedom organisation said. “They are being held in very bad conditions. Most have been sent to prisons hundreds of kilometres from their families, sanitary conditions are dreadful, food inadequate and medical care for ailing prisoners is minimal.”It called on the authorities to immediately tell the families where they had been transferred to and to allow them to visit as soon as possible.Vázquez Portal, of the Grupo de Trabajo Decoro news agency, Hernández González, of the CPIC agency, and Herrera Acosta, of the APLO agency, as well as three political prisoners, began the hunger-strike to protest against what they called “unfair” and “inhuman” treatment in Boniatico prison, including solitary confinement, no access to TV or the press, their distance from their families, dirty conditions and bad food. Yaraí Reyes, wife of Hernández González, said the food was often rotten, they had no electricity in their cells and were being refused any medical care. Herrera Acosta’s wife, Ileana Danger Hardy, said the journalists were also protesting against the disciplining of one of them.The three journalists, along with one of the political prisoners, were taken to the new prison on 1 September. Reyes said the aim was to separate them from other prisoners and force them to end the hunger-strike. She said she was “extremely worried” that reprisals might be taken against them.Three other jailed independent journalists – Mario Enrique Mayo, Adolfo Fernández Sainz and Ivan Hernández Carrillo – began a hunger-strike on 15 August to demand the right for chronically ill prisoners to receive proper medical treatment and suitable food. They ended the protest on 25 August when the authorities agreed to give Enrique Mayo a proper diet. Fernández Sainz reportedly lost 15 kg. Jailed journalist Manuel Vázquez Portal has ended his hunger-strike after his conditions of detention improved at Aguadores prison, in Santiago, where his wife was recently able to visit him. He had been sent there after he and two other independent journalists, Normando Hernández González and Carlos Herrera Acosta, began a hunger-strike on 31 August at Boniatico prison, also in Santiago. The wives of Gonzalez and Herrera, who were also moved from Boniatico, have now been told where their husbands are being held, after being without news for several days. Help by sharing this information New press freedom predators elected to UN Human Rights Council News Newslast_img read more

Directions awaited from DPP

first_imgAdvertisement Email NewsLocal NewsDirections awaited from DPPBy admin – January 24, 2012 616 THE DIRECTIONS of the DPP are awaited on a man charged with the alleged possession of a .22 Anschutz rifle, one round on ammunition and €25,000 worth of ecstasy tablets.21-year-old Gary Curtin, with an address at Railway House, Old Cork Road, is accused of the offences contrary to section 27A of the Firearms act 1965 and sections 15 and 3 of the misuse of drugs act at Spitland, Old Cork Road, on dates between June 10 and 14, 2011.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Facebook WhatsApp Previous articleCertainty sought on future of Shannon AirportNext articleLimerick foodies called to the @foodieforum admin Linkedin Twitter Print The matter was adjourned until February 29.last_img read more

Gang Of Thieves Combine Music & Volunteer In Their “Work Together Tour”

first_imgOn their Work Together Tour this spring, Gang of Thieves played 60+ shows over the course of four months and made a goal to volunteer their time to various community service projects across the country. As any touring musician will tell you, it takes great motivation and dedication to perform live concerts. With a vigorous tour schedule, it takes immense physical and mental effort to travel from city to city, and perform your best to any size crowd, despite how many hours of sleep you were able to catch in between.So for a band to incorporate community service into their tour schedule, it is quite the victory. Live For Live Music applauds the Gang of Thieves for reaching their goals, and are happy to share their experience through the words of Michael Reit (lead vox / violin) and Tobin Salas (bass). Read below for a recap of their Work Together Tour:Being from Vermont, we are extremely lucky to live in a state that is so supportive of its local community and economy. The idea for our “Work Together” tour was definitely influenced by what we see around us in our daily life. Our goal as a band, especially when we are touring, has always been to spread a positive message through rock and roll, so this tour was really a natural evolution for us. Early on in the planning stages for the tour, we had a lot of positive feedback about what we were trying to do, and ended up pairing with Darn Tough Socks, Cabot Cheese, and Lenny’s Shoe and Apparel as sponsors. All of those companies are dedicated to having locally made products and supporting their local communities, which is exactly what we wanted to encourage along the tour.As we hit the road, our goal was to volunteer in as many communities as possible, from food shelves to animal shelters. When we started adding these extracurricular activities to our usual tour schedule, we expected it to be a little strenuous, since we were giving up whatever extra sleep and downtime we had between all our shows to volunteer. That being said, right off the bat we discovered that contributing to communities gave us an incredible sense of fulfillment and accomplishment, which helped balance out the lack of sleep or down time. The truth is that there are a lot of people who don’t have the opportunity or lifestyle we are lucky to have, people who need help and support. To us, getting a couple more hours of sleep or down time doesn’t compare to being able to fundamentally contribute to helping some of those people. For example, we played a late night set in Roanoke, Virginia then hit the road that night for a place to stay in Charlottesville where we were scheduled for an early morning start at the local Habitat for Humanity. Despite the lack of sleep, we had a blast helping build homes for people who needed them. We worked all day putting in trim, sideboarding, and other late stage jobs at a site with rows of houses waiting to be finished. The people there were positive and super dedicated to the community, and appreciated our help so much. We ended up playing an acoustic version of “Work Together” for them at lunch, and made some great friends there. A few of the workers onsite even came to our show that evening in Charlottesville! It felt so good to contribute to the local community, but seeing those same people come support us in turn that evening was even more amazing. It gave us a sense of the power that working together can have.We definitely encourage fellow bands to find time in their tour schedule to help out in the communities they travel through. Not only is it incredibly fulfilling to help out where it is needed most, but you never know who you might meet. Maybe someone will offer to put you up for the night, or you might make some unexpected fans who will keep supporting you and your music for years to come. For more information about where we went and how we put all this volunteer work together, check out the “Work Together” page on our website. More bands should be like Gang of Thieves. Bravo!last_img read more

Kevin O’Neill faces new questions

first_img“The 19th Hole” runs Mondays. To comment on this story, email Joey at [email protected] or comment below. USC athletic director Pat Haden’s rationale for retaining men’s basketball coach Kevin O’Neill, despite a 6-26 record last season, has always been simple: His players go to class, graduate and keep their noses clean.For months, he has reiterated as much.Questions · USC coach Kevin O’Neill is known for running a clean program, but the arrests of two players are making that image blurred. – Luciano Nunez | Daily Trojan“He graduates kids, and the kids don’t get into trouble,” Haden told the Los Angeles Times on March 7.That remains, to a large degree, why O’Neill will return for a fourth season as head of the Trojans’ basketball program. And that’s more than fair. Running a clean program is nothing to scoff at.But that general perception is fading.Last month, junior forward Ari Stewart, who had been sitting out the season because of NCAA transfer rules, was arrested for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia in Arizona while traveling with the Trojans on a road trip. Charges are still pending after the case was referred to the Maricopa County attorney’s office last week.Next season, Stewart will likely start for USC, along with incoming junior college transfer guard J.T. Terrell, who carries his own baggage, so to speak.Terrell left Wake Forest in September after he was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated.Neither charge is unheard of in today’s world of big-time college basketball, sure. Neither is exactly shocking.But remember this is one of the primary reasons O’Neill is back: He runs a clean program and his players stay out of trouble. Yet, two players, with arrest records, could start for the Trojans when the season tips off come November. And that’s fine, but they better win. They can’t afford to wallow in mediocrity much longer.The saving grace for O’Neill, who holds a rather pedestrian 41-55 mark in three seasons with USC, has been two-fold: He’s managed a mess in the wake of NCAA sanctions stemming from improper benefits former guard O.J. Mayo received while with the program in 2008, and his players have been high-character guys.But Stewart and Terrell’s pasts devalue that latter notion and frustrate a growingly apathetic fanbase. Perhaps more than anything, they increase pressure on O’Neill to win in his fourth season, pressure that will only grow as the season draws nearer.O’Neill said he expects things to turn around. He said USC will be markedly better in 2013, that the team’s performance from last season was, by and large, an anomaly.“That will be our goal — To be in the NCAA tournament — and I think we have a chance,” O’Neill said about his team’s prospects following its season-ending 55-40 loss to UCLA in the Pac-12 tournament.Haden has uttered similar statements.After a six-win season, it’d be pretty tough not to recognize USC has to be better.Coaches don’t typically get the benefit of the doubt forever. Eventually they have to win.At some point, if O’Neill hopes to keep his job in the coming seasons, USC has to get back to the Big Dance. It can’t afford not to. He recognizes that. After all, USC loses money when it comes to basketball.It suffered losses of $464,000 and $1.1 million, during the 2010-2011 and 2009-2010 seasons, respectively, according to the NCAA Equity in Athletics report. Data is not available for its most recent season.Interest among alumni and students is waning too. USC averaged just 3,970 fans at the Galen Center last season — the lowest in the six-year history of the venue. All signs indicate general indifference among fans.It all means one thing: USC can’t afford to slip up when it comes to graduation rates and run-ins with the law. There is little room left for error for O’Neill at this point. Brushes with the law are generally bad. That goes without saying for the most part. But they’re even worse when a program is coming off a school record for losses in a single season. It’s one thing to lose. It’s another thing to lose and have players arrested on drug charges in the middle of a roadtrip.Eventually, O’Neill will be judged, to a large degree, on his record. How many games does he win? How much money can he help the program make?But his clock is ticking, and unfortunately — at least for his job security — arrests and criminal charges only make it tick faster.last_img read more

Former hybrids searching for fit in Dino Babers’ offense

first_img Published on April 1, 2016 at 3:23 am Contact Connor: [email protected] | @connorgrossman Lining up in the backfield or in the slot, the hybrid position created a dizzying amount of scenarios for defenses to handle last year. Jet sweeps. Triple options. Catch and runs.The brainchild of former offensive coordinator Tim Lester, the everything and anything position added receiving and blocking responsibilities to running backs Ervin Philips and Donate Strickland. But with the hiring of head coach Dino Babers, he made it clear the hybrid would be eliminated. As position groups began meeting to digest the new playbook, Strickland wondered where he’d go without the hybrid position group. “At first I went to the wide receivers’ room,” Strickland said. “It was kinda just, let’s see where they have me at. I didn’t know where they wanted me.”His entrance into the meeting was met by funny looks from the coaching staff, Strickland said. Most likely because his bulkier, 5-foot-11, 196-pound frame didn’t fit the lean mold of the other wideouts. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textShortly after, he was ushered to be with the running backs, where he’s settled back into a role that dates back to his Pop Warner days. To balance out the offense, Philips, who racked up 286 receiving yards and tacked on 234 rushing yards last season, will transition full-time to the slot position. Babers’ fast-paced offense doesn’t really lend itself to a fluid, hybrid-type position. So SU’s new head coach said he told the former hybrids to make a decision: Find your most suitable position, and we’ll evaluate. Or at least in Strickland’s case, we’ll help you find your spot.“In our offense you kind of get locked in,” Babers said. “Based on (a player’s) personality, they need to fall into either ‘A’ or ‘B.’“We really don’t have guys that kind of blend into two or three different jobs.”It brought a sense of relief to two players who could recall the difficulties of spring camp last year. Strickland was informed of his move to hybrid two or three days before last preseason, and was “a little bit” ticked about it. He was pelted with a variety of unfamiliar terms and routes he had to master.Philips was more welcoming of the change to an “athlete” position, enamored with the idea of getting his hands on the ball more often. But his mind was boggled trying to balance a playbook dotted with running, blocking and receiving schemes. The “do-it-all” aspect of the do-it-all position quickly became both its greatest compliment and putdown.“At the end of the day I’m a team player,” Philips said, “but it was a heavy burden. It was a lot of pressure.”Now as he goes through the routine of hauling passes from a quarterback or machine, Philips wishes in hindsight he took more snaps as a receiver last year. The hectic nature of the hybrid didn’t lend itself to consistency, and now Philips realizes he’s not as polished of a receiver as he’d like.He’s fielded tips from senior wideout Brisly Estime to try and smooth over the learning curve. The veteran receiver preaches patience, and demonstrates using his hands to get off the line better and skirt defenders. And even though Philips has enjoyed the single-mindedness of this preseason, he yearns for another opportunity where one might not come with Strickland’s move: the backfield. “I actually like the running back position,” Philips said. “Anytime they want to put me back there, I’ll go. Because I honestly kind of miss it.”“Catching the ball isn’t as easy as people think,” he later added.It’s a position close to heart for Philips, a running back his entire life before last season. But the same holds true for Strickland, who’s rejoicing in a return to where he once was. He’s hoping to lift the fourth-worst rushing offense in the Atlantic Coast Conference last year, joining team-leading rusher Jordan Fredericks in his second season.Strickland’s able to freely do that now, unshackled from his receiving and blocking responsibilities from a year ago. In that sense, leaving a position of freedom has given him the most freedom he’s had to help Syracuse.“Being back at running back is just getting back in the swing of things,” Strickland said. “Coach is talking about winning and that’s all we want to do right now, is just get back to winning and change the whole program.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more