Manuel Vázquez Portal ends hunger-strike

first_img RSF_en News CubaAmericas September 22, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Manuel Vázquez Portal ends hunger-strike May 6, 2020 Find out more Cuba and its Decree Law 370: annihilating freedom of expression on the Internet CubaAmericas October 15, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Cuba RSF and Fundamedios welcome US asylum ruling in favor of Cuban journalist Serafin Moran Santiago to go further Receive email alerts October 12, 2018 Find out more News Organisation Manuel Vázquez Portal told his wife, Yolanda Huerga Cedeño, by telephone on 7 September that he was calling off his hunger strike because his condition of detention had improved. She was able to visit him three days later. During this visit, a state security officer put pressure on her to encourage her husband to respect prison discipline. He also urged her not to say anything to the press as this would “hurt” her husband. During the 15 minutes she was allowed to spend with her husband, he confirmed he had obtained an improvement in his conditions. He can now watch TV for four hours a day and can leave his cell without manacles on his wrists and ankles. He also has healthier food and a bigger cell. He is still being held in Aguadores prison, but the authorities have promised to return him to Boniato prison.___________________________8.09.2003Yaraí Reyes Marín said her husband, Normando Hernández González, has been transferred to Kilo 5 1/2 prison in Piñar del Río province where, according to the prison authorities, he is in solitary confinement and is forbidden from making telephone calls and receiving family visits until he calls off his hunger strike.Carlos Herrera Acosta, for his part, has reportedly been transferred to a prison in the eastern province of Camagüey.————————————-4.09.2003Manuel Vázquez Portal has been sent to Aguadores prison, in Santiago de Cuba,according to his wife and sister, who were told by state security policeand prison officials at Aguadores. The families of the two otherstransferred, Normando Hernández González and Juan Carlos Herrera Acosta,have heard nothing.————————————-3.09.2003Reporters Without Borders expressed great concern today about a hunger-strike begun by three independent Cuban journalists – Manuel Vázquez Portal, Juan Carlos Herrera Acosta and Normando Hernández González – in Boniatico prison, in the eastern city of Santiago de Cuba, to protest against their conditions of detention. Since they started the protest on 31 August, they have been transferred to another prison in an unknown location.”This is the second hunger-strike in the space of a month by journalists jailed in Cuba,” the press freedom organisation said. “They are being held in very bad conditions. Most have been sent to prisons hundreds of kilometres from their families, sanitary conditions are dreadful, food inadequate and medical care for ailing prisoners is minimal.”It called on the authorities to immediately tell the families where they had been transferred to and to allow them to visit as soon as possible.Vázquez Portal, of the Grupo de Trabajo Decoro news agency, Hernández González, of the CPIC agency, and Herrera Acosta, of the APLO agency, as well as three political prisoners, began the hunger-strike to protest against what they called “unfair” and “inhuman” treatment in Boniatico prison, including solitary confinement, no access to TV or the press, their distance from their families, dirty conditions and bad food. Yaraí Reyes, wife of Hernández González, said the food was often rotten, they had no electricity in their cells and were being refused any medical care. Herrera Acosta’s wife, Ileana Danger Hardy, said the journalists were also protesting against the disciplining of one of them.The three journalists, along with one of the political prisoners, were taken to the new prison on 1 September. Reyes said the aim was to separate them from other prisoners and force them to end the hunger-strike. She said she was “extremely worried” that reprisals might be taken against them.Three other jailed independent journalists – Mario Enrique Mayo, Adolfo Fernández Sainz and Ivan Hernández Carrillo – began a hunger-strike on 15 August to demand the right for chronically ill prisoners to receive proper medical treatment and suitable food. They ended the protest on 25 August when the authorities agreed to give Enrique Mayo a proper diet. Fernández Sainz reportedly lost 15 kg. Jailed journalist Manuel Vázquez Portal has ended his hunger-strike after his conditions of detention improved at Aguadores prison, in Santiago, where his wife was recently able to visit him. He had been sent there after he and two other independent journalists, Normando Hernández González and Carlos Herrera Acosta, began a hunger-strike on 31 August at Boniatico prison, also in Santiago. The wives of Gonzalez and Herrera, who were also moved from Boniatico, have now been told where their husbands are being held, after being without news for several days. Help by sharing this information New press freedom predators elected to UN Human Rights Council News Newslast_img read more

Shannon RFC and Limerick mourn passing of Pat O’Connor

first_imgLinkedin Email NewsLocal NewsShannon RFC and Limerick mourn passing of Pat O’ConnorBy admin – January 5, 2010 598 Advertisement Facebook WhatsAppcenter_img It’s with great regret and the deepest of sadness that members and friends of Shannon RFC learned of the passing of our vice President, Pat O’Connor. At 73 years of age, Pat succumbed to his health battle at 11pm on Monday 4th last in Milford Hospice and leaves behind a legacy of goodwill, dedication and unyielding commitment to Shannon RFC. Pat’s death will leave a massive void in the lives of those that knew him, and Shannon RFC may never see a man of his ilk, who worked tirelessly for the betterment of his beloved club.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up A gentler more affable man you couldn’t meet, Pat was a man of quite purpose and his gentle nature belied his ruthless agenda when it came to the continuing success of Shannon.Pat O’Connor was a central figure to the success of Shannon in the AIB league over the years and whilst the players took the accolades, his role was every bit as important.As Chairman of Finance, Assistant Treasurer, Hon. Treasurer, Club Chairman and then Vice President, Pat led the club through some glorious times and it will be a source of great regret by Shannon’s members that his health prevented him from attaining the Presidency of the club.Pat has amassed a great many friends throughout the country and his absence at the customary pre match lunches with opposition teams will be noted with deep regret.It might come as a surprise to some within the club that he did actually run a business given his time dedicated to the club and probably the only other aspect of his life, bar his family, that vied for his attention as much as the club was his cattle.Memories of Pat O’Connor are thankfully, vast and happy. Everyone was referred to as “boss” and everyone treated with the utmost respect whether the issue was of major significance or a simple mundane matter. As long as the problem was about Shannon, it would be sorted.His spirit will remain and the drive and enthusiasm he had for Shannon RFC will live on in everything the club achieves in the future.To his wife Kate, daughters Jane and Trish, his son Noel and brother Noel and his extended family, the thoughts and sympathies of everyone in Shannon RFC and beyond  are with ye.Pat, you will be missed by all, May you rest in peace. Print Twitter Previous articleGive it a TriNext articleMunster v Scarlets pitch update adminlast_img read more